- BrandGAN XIN
- BrandSportable Scoreboards
GAN XIN LED Portable Tabletop Scoreboard Professional 14/24 Seconds Shot Scoreboard Electronic Digital for Basketball, Baseball/Football/TennisView on Amazon
- BrandGAN XIN
Last update on 2021-10-16 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
There are a lot of different options when it comes to choosing basketball shot clocks. You can choose from digital, analog, mechanical or hybrid models. But which one is the best? In this article we will take a look at how to decide what type of clock you need for your facility and what features you should be looking for in order to make an informed decision.
What are the different types of basketball shot clocks?
- The 24-second shot clock is the most popular type of basketball shot clock
- A 30-second shot clock is used in high school and college games to allow more time for play
- A 35-second shot clock is used in international competition, such as FIBA or World Cup, to allow for greater game flow and less player fatigue
- An unlimited amount of time can be allotted on a 60 second timer if a team has possession of the ball with less than two minutes remaining in the game
- Teams are not allowed to advance up court after an offensive rebound until they have control of the ball or it goes out of bounds
- A 10-minute timed period can be set before tip off if both teams agree upon this stipulation prior to starting play
Is an electric or battery-operated ball good enough to use with a new shot clock?
It is a good idea to make sure the ball you choose has enough juice. There are many different types of basketballs, and some can require more battery power than others so plan ahead for what type of play will take place.
The size of your basketball court dictates the best shot clock size too! It is important that the timer be able to reach all areas on the court. If you have an Olympic-sized arena, then get a two or three digit timer because they cover most courts well while still being easy to read from any position in front row seats. Some arenas are too small for a goal that has only single digits or numbers less than 17 inches high like this Reebok model Â (see design). They can be more difficult to see.
The advantages and disadvantages of different types of basketball shot clocks
- A two or three digit timer is best for a large arena because it covers most of the court. It can be difficult to read if you are in front row seats as they only have single digits and numbers less than 17 inches high like this Reebok model (see design).
- The two or three digit timers cover much more area on the court but may be too big; however, there are smaller models available from brands such as Spalding that offer lower visibility. These digital clocks come with a remote control which allows for easy set up.
- Some basketball shot clock designs also include an additional buzzer option so players know when their time has expired before shooting and how long they will need to wait
- The best basketball shot clocks are those that offer the highest visibility, a wide variety of options in size and style to suit your needs, and easy set up with remote control.
How to choose the best basketball shot clocks for your team
The number of players on a team can vary from two to five members. A smaller team size will need less shot clock time than a larger one.
Smaller teams should opt for digital shooting clocks with remote control, as they have lower visibility and are easier to set up in tight spaces. The Spalding Shot Clock offers both these features at an affordable price point for beginners or families that only play recreationally. The most popular option available online is the Goalrilla Portable Digital Shooting Timer which easily attaches to your backboard and has multiple modes including simultaneous use by more than one player! Netwin is a company that makes high quality things. They are simple, but good.
Choosing the best basketball shot clocks for your team is a decision that cannot be taken lightly. We’ve outlined some of the most important factors to consider before making a final selection, including size and durability. The key takeaway here is that choosing wisely will save you time in the long run by avoiding an expensive purchase down the road.
We help narrowing down your options. Ready to start shopping? You can find everything you need right here on our website!